Join our team, sharing the latest scientific advances in light-based technologies from around the world, including biomedical optics, astronomy, lasers, solar, nanotechnology, and more! Make a difference doing important work with a successful, international not-for-profit organization.
Full-time, 40 hours per week position available. Hours 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Description of duties: In the reception role, answer phone in a professional and courteous manner, and direct any calls that choose to bypass the auto attendant to the most helpful source with one call transfer/resolution in mind. Greet and direct visitors appropriately, issuing and documenting visitor badges as needed. In the support role, perform a wide variety of tasks within Customer Services, such as advanced data entry and cleanup, business process documentation and programs and publication data integration. In addition to Customer Services, support various internal departments by performing advanced database work for Accounting, HR, Administration and Data Governance. Perform other general administrative tasks as needed. Monitor reception fax inbox and forward any faxes received to correct department/staff.
Education & Experience Requirements
- 2-year degree or equivalent, relevant experience required
- Professional phone manner
- Strong organizational and communication skills (written and verbal)
- One year typing or data entry experience, plus additional office experience (equivalent relevant experience may be substituted)
- PC proficiency and knowledge of Windows applications required
- Proficiency in web research and analyzing information
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Type 50 wpm accurately for periods of 2 hours per day, up to 4 hours per day
Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI): SPIE recognizes that diversity and inclusion drive innovation, excellence, and new knowledge. Bringing together people from different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives makes us stronger and supports our mission. We offer a collaborate work environment and strive to create a culture of belonging for all our employees.
Compensation and Benefits package includes:
- Competitive wage, annual discretionary bonus. Based on qualifications and performance, there is room to grow on our full wage scale of $17.21 per hour- $24.09 per hour.
- Medical, dental & vision benefits provided (100% employer paid premium for the employee, 75% employer paid premium for the dependents).
- Defined retirement contribution: SPIE provides an automatic 5% contribution PLUS SPIE offers UP to 5% matching contributions and 100% vested immediately.
- Paid Time Off plan beginning at 31 days per year.
- Health savings accounts are partially funded by SPIE.
- Flexible spending accounts for dependent care and dental/vision expenses available.
- Employee life & disability insurance provided, dependent life insurance & Long Term Care insurance available through payroll deduction.
- Many learning & development opportunities including tuition reimbursement & leadership development.
Location: Physical work location in Bellingham, WA.
Culture: In alignment with our mission and values as a technical society, we follow scientific findings and science-based best practices and comply with public health guidance. Our workplace offers onsite activities, costume contests, picnics, parties & more. We are located in Bellingham, WA where you will find the perfect blend of endless outdoor recreation, incredible scenery, strong schools, great breweries, and more, making this an amazing place to work and live.
Please send a resume & cover letter, indicating how your experience & qualifications match the requirements & why you will be successful in this position to:
All materials must be received by 5 p.m. September 26, 2023
SPIE is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. SPIE provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, color, age, religion, protected veteran or disability status, or genetic information.
SPIE, the international society for optics and photonics, was founded in 1955 to advance light-based technologies.
Serving 255,000 constituents from 183 countries, the not-for-profit society advances emerging technologies through interdisciplinary information exchange, continuing education, publications, patent precedent, and career and professional growth.
SPIE annually organizes and sponsors approximately 25 major technical forums, exhibitions, and education programs in North America, Europe, Asia, and the South Pacific, where more than 35,000 scientists, engineers, and entrepreneurs showcase the latest innovations across a wide range of technologies.
SPIE publishes the SPIE Digital Library, the world’s largest collection of optics and photonics applied research with more than 500,000 papers from SPIE journals, conference proceedings and presentations, and eBooks. Research spans biomedicine, communications, sensors, defense and security, manufacturing, electronics, energy, and imaging.
In 2019, SPIE provided over $5.6 million in community support including scholarships and awards, outreach and advocacy programs, travel grants, public policy, and educational resources.
Membership includes Fellows and Senior Member programs. The Society has named more than 1,500 SPIE Members as Fellows since 1955, and implemented its Senior Member program in 2008.
The SPIE awards program serves to recognize outstanding contributions from individuals throughout the scientific community.
The SPIE international office is located in Bellingham, Washington and the SPIE Europe office is located in Cardiff, Wales.